Friday, April 5, 2013

Skull Dress with Steampunk Flowers Step by Step

This was a fun project that I have just about completed.  It is an altered canvas of sorts that has 3D elements.  I am having a frame made for it, which will give it a more finished look.

I had wanted to make a mini skull dress inspired by a favorite dress in my closet.  I've worn it out to dinner and on Halloween.  It is a Hot Topic find and is a real conversation starter.



The project started out with a piece of satin from my old wedding dress.  The possible multitudes of projects that can be made from the flower girl and wedding dresses are overwhelming.  This could be a volume by itself.


The background of the fabric was painted ballet pink with scrollwork. I then added a few skulls and roses throughout.  This came out so cute (my daughter loved), I decided to paint more fabric with variations on this same pattern, maybe with butterflies.


This piece of fabric was pleated then assembled into a skirt, to which a tulle underskirt was added.  A piece of ribbon from an XOXO blouse (the shipping straps) was ruffled and attached to the bottom of the skirt.  I made a tiny bodice from paper and the wedding dress satin fabric.


The canvas, a 5" x 7", was painted with pink and overlaid with black stripes.  Some steampunk flowers and scrollwork in black, gold and metallic ink (salvaged from some almost dried out glitter pens) were painted over the stripes.


The bodice was painted with a skull and rose image.  I stitched on lace and beaded straps (made from a discarded necklace).  A sequin trim in pink was glued to the "waistline" to hide the seam.


I made a little wire hanger and tied with sheer pink ribbon.  Then the dress and hanger were glued to the canvas.  Here is the finished canvas on top of one of my art journal pages.  It is a good feeling that the materials used to make the dress were all recycled materials.


Next photo post will be of the canvas framed.  This piece, as well as some of the pieces featured on this blog, will be available for purchase at my new Etsy shop CrowFairyCreations.

Here is the link for my shop:  www.etsy.com/shop/CrowFairyCreations

Also check out one of my favorites on Etsy--kitsnbitsscraps.  This shop offers gorgeous altered tags, premade pages and premade albums, as well as scrapbook supplies.  www.etsy.com/shop/kitsnbitscraps

No comments:

Post a Comment