Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Cinco de Mayo Altered Art Poster

The store at the mall where I work during the week is throwing a Cinco de Mayo party to kick off our second quarter.  I was asked to make a poster for the occasion and a sign up sheet for the feast.


I used corrugated cardboard that backed an old frame.  The letters for Cinco and Mayo, the maracas and the little pinata.  The rest was painted onto the cardboard itself.  I made the senorita's dress from the wedding dress fabric and hand painted the design, sewed on the lace.  The flowers are made from tissue paper from my work.

The idea was to make the background kind of look like terra cotta.  The word balloon also has a distressed look to it.  Just cardboard with titanium white and yellow ochre mixed and brushed lightly on to show a "grain."



The poster and sign up sheet, as well as some embellishments, such as a mini Mexican bunting, extra maracas, pinatas and flowers will be offered as a set for party decor.


Everyone at work loved the poster, and my manager sent pics on her phone to the district and regional managers.  I also got a commission from one of my co-workers (a fan of mine on Etsy) for a good sized assemblage featuring some steampunk elements.  So very exciting!  Already am working on the preliminary sketches for this piece.

There will be a post showing pics of the actual fiesta on Cinco de Mayo.
So tune in!

No comments:

Post a Comment