Monday, March 25, 2013

Seed packet art journal page

This is one of the pages in my handmade art journal.  It's so much fun making my own backgrounds that are inspired by things around me.


The pages in the book are hand made paper, a little difficult to paint on with acrylics, which was the medium used.  An artist's medium or gel works great for better flow of the paint.

The flower garden was inspired by a seed packet photo.  The colors really caught my eye.  The bg scroll and pattern was modified from a pashmina that my mother bought at the Turkish market when she was there a few years ago.  I love the vibrancy of its woven pattern.

The altered tag was an old jeans tag.  Recycled clothing labels are great material because they often are made from quality chipboard or fabrics and have awesome finishes, graphics, cording--and they are free!  I have a whole treasure trove of them that I make my altered tags from.  I will be posting more samples of this type of altered art.

I made the ribbon roses from sheer ribbon, glass beads and the green woven ribbon hanging on the corner of the journal.



I painted the butterfly on watercolor paper, assembled with hot glue and attached a body made from beads and wire, then added a little glitter.  I then strung the beads for the trim at the bottom, then glued a few ferns behind the butterfly.

(My next blog will include a brief tutorial on the butterfly and the roses.  Check it out.)

Still trying to decide on a final layout and other materials for this journal page, but that is the fun of art journals.  It is based on whatever you can imagine and whatever makes you smile.

Here is a work in progress, a kind of rough draft, that will be part of an art journal page, also will become a larger composition.


This girl has a long cranberry skirt with waterfall flounces that will be fashioned from actual grosgrain ribbon.  The chandelier will have rhinestones.   Behind her are cherry blossom branches. Stay tuned for completed work.

My inspiration for today comes from www.hogret@deviantart.com  Check out the altered books and digital collages.  Amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment